Description
The Church of the Madonna della Cona near the castle of Castelvecchio, with a late renaissance façade and portal of 1547, hosts the Festival of the Icon or Festival of Souls on 9th March each year. It is believed that this area was once home to the powerful Castle of San Martino, bone of contention between the Duchy of Spoleto, Norcia and Camerino.
Between the late 14th century and the early 15th century, San Martino was destroyed by the Duchy of Norcia and the residents dispersed to the nearby villages of Corone, Castelvecchio and Saccovescio. The Festival of souls remembers all the men of Mount San Martino. The celebration is held at the Church of Cona, so called ‘Madonna de lu posatoro’, which was built in the 16th century in the territory of Castelvecchio.